Australia Day Honours 2014
There were no West Australian SES volunteers in this year’s 2014 Australia Day Honours. However the honours that were awarded in Western Australian for DFES career and volunteers were:
Emergency Services Medal (ESM)
The Emergency Services Medal recognises distinguished service by members of emergency services across Australia, and people who are involved in emergency management, training or education. State Emergency Services and voluntary emergency organisations are eligible for the award.
The Emergency Services Medal is one of six meritorious awards in the Australian honours system. More: http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/awards/medals/emergency_service_me…
- Mrs Merrilyn May HIDE Leeman WA, Since joining the Leeman Volunteer Marine and Rescue Service (VMRS), Mrs Hide has been conspicuous in her unwavering dedication to the organisation.
- Mr John Murray IFFLA Bremer Bay WA, In addition to his exemplary commitment to the Bremer Bay Volunteer Emergency Service (VES) unit and his local community, Mr Iffla has been a leading advocate for emergency services volunteers throughout Western Australia.
Australian Fire Services Medal (AFSM)
The Australian Fire Service Medal recognises distinguished service by members of Australian fire services. It is awarded to paid and volunteer members. The Australian Fire Service Medal is one of six meritorious awards in the Australian honours system.
- Mr Brian Peter LANDERS Kalgoorlie WA, Mr Landers began his career as a full-time officer in the Fire and Rescue Service in Western Australia in 1968 and retired in 2013, but has since continued to serve as a volunteer.
- Mr Gregory Alan MAIR, Busselton WA, Mr Mair has had a long and distinguished career in Fire Management as part of his role as a District Manager in the Department of Environment and Conservation, now the Department for Parks and Wildlife (DPaW).
- Mr Noel Raymond PLOWMANRoleystone WA, Mr Plowman joined the Roleystone Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade in 1981 and quickly established himself as a very motivated and committed member.
SES volunteers are reminded that the next round of nominations for an honour is for Queens Birthday. If you know a volunteer that has given distinguished service, then submit an application via DFES. Contact your DFES District Officer for advice.