Local Manager Shark bay SES Unit
1st August 2021
Title: Local Manager – DFES State Emergency Service
Location: 99 Durlacher Street DENHAM WA 6537
Position No: Shark Bay Unit
Expressions of interest are invited from interested personnel wishing to be considered for this opportunity.
About the role:
Responsible to DFES for the efficient and effective management of the emergency service function of the Unit including all aspects of management, administration, training, operations & management of the LGGS in conjunction with Local Government
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to deal with people
- from a wide variety of backgrounds & the ability to influence stakeholders.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Previous experience in developing and implementing policies, practices and procedures.
- Completion of, or working toward, Team Leader Program (formally Pathways)
- Knowledge of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services.
- Broad knowledge of the State Emergency Service and its role.
- Completion of AIIMS 2017 or equivalent.
- Endorsed as a Level 1 Incident Controller or the ability to complete with 18 months.
- Level 2 Operations Officer or working towards the qualification.
- Experience in managing a volunteer organization.
To apply for this position please forward
- A maximum of 3 pages addressing the selection criteria.
- A recent copy of your current CV; and
- The names of two referees who can attest to your suitability to this role.
This opportunity is open to volunteers only. You are encouraged to pass the details of this
vacancy on to people who may be interested in applying.
Please email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org ,
Please reference as LM Shark Bay SES Unit application.
Close Date: 4.00pm September 4, 2021
Note: Applications received after the closing date and verbal expressions of interest will NOT be accepted
For further information about the position contact A/ District Officer Phil Bresser 0427 002715 or
As the Local Manager for the Shark Bay SES, you will be responsible for –
- Manages the functions of the State Emergency Service Unit.
- Prepares the Unit Development plan, including personal development of members.
- Manages assets, financial, human and technological resources of the Unit.
- Ensures Unit compliance with DFES Policies and Doctrine.
- Mentors’ members in other leadership roles and identifies succession planning
- Examines opportunities for development of the Unit through innovation.
- Participates in regional management and development forums.
- Ensures the effective direction of Unit resources during operations.
- Maintains liaison with the Local Emergency Coordinator and other relevant services.
- Informs the DFES COMCEN, Regional Duty Coordinator or the On-Call DO, as
- appropriate, of Unit activations and forwards Situation Reports as required.
- Ensures Incident Reports are completed / submitted.
- Approves Unit Training Program.
- Approves Unit Exercise Schedule.
- Participates as a member of the Local Emergency Management Committee (LEMC).
- Advises on Unit operational capability as a part of the planning process.
- Oversees community awareness and preparation for Hazard Management Agency roles
- and responsibilities.
- Ensures Non-Operational Activity Reports are completed / submitted.
- Forwards a Unit quarterly report and an annual report to LG as required.
- Develops annual budget submission in consultation with LG and DO.
- Ensures preparation of annual stock take of all equipment & consumables.
- Ensures the preparation of asset register annually.
- Oversees Unit administration.