Lloyd Bailey Injured
Lloyd Bailey was in a serious condition in hospital last night after being bashed in Northbridge in what police are treating as a random act of violence. Lloyd Bailey is the Department of Fire and Emergency Service’s deputy commissioner of operations and has served with the organisation for more than 40 years. He had been attending a function in Northbridge and was walking alone across a pedestrian overpass near Wellington Street when he was attacked and knocked unconscious about 9.30pm. His injuries include bleeding on the brain and facial fractures and he was rushed to the nearby Royal Perth Hospital for emergency treatment.
It is believed he was later transferred out of the intensive care unit but his condition was last night still listed as serious but stable. It is understood there were several witnesses to the attack who called triple zero and stayed with Mr Bailey until an ambulance arrived. Police were also on the scene quickly and were able to track down the alleged offender with the help of the City of Perth’s camera unit. Fire Commissioner Wayne Gregson said last night he had been shocked by the incident and was hoping his friend and colleague would make a full recovery.
“The thoughts of the whole agency are with him and we are giving as much support as we can to his family at this stage,” he said. Frank Shane Bropho, 49, was charged over the assault with doing an unlawful act with intent to harm (endangering the life, health or safety of any person). He was remanded in custody after facing court yesterday and is expected to appear again in Perth Magistrate’s Court on March 7.
Source – Grant Taylor and Gabrielle Knowles – The West Australian
The President of the SESVA Gordon Hall said” On behalf of myself , Committee Members and all SES Volunteers we wish Lloyd a speedy recovery from this serious incident”. He also said “our thoughs and prayers are with Lloyd his wife and family at this very difficult time”.