SES Volunteer's Association of Western Australia Incorporated

“Together we can; Together we will”

14/07/2014 – SES Volunteers Assist after storm hits

Emergency services responds after bad weather hits the Perth metropolitan area
More than 80 State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers from 19 units are continuing to work through the day to help the community after bad weather hit the Perth metropolitan area.  Damage was reported across the Perth metropolitan area, with 75 calls for help since 5am this morning.  The majority of the calls have come from Hilton, Belliar, Claremont, Nedlands, Melville and surrounding areas. The majority of calls were for damaged roofs and fallen trees.


Now the bad weather has passed DFES advises you to:

  • Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
  • Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
  • Keep clear of fallen powerlines, they are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
  • Assess your home, car and property for damage.
  • If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
  • If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.
  • People are being urged to do what they can to help themselves, if it is safe to do so, before calling the SES for assistance.


  • If your home has been badly damaged by the bad weather call the SES on 132 500
  • In a life threatening situation call 000
  • For the latest weather information visit or call 1300 659 213
  • Information about road conditions may be available from Main Roads WA on 138 138 or
  • To report downed powerlines call Western Power on 13 13 51
  • For advice on damaged asbestos contact your insurance company, local government environmental health officer or Department of Health on 9388 4999 or after hours on 9328 0553

After a storm SES volunteers make temporary repairs to homes that have been badly damaged, such as roofs that have been ripped off or large fallen trees on homes and cars. Please contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.