SES Volunteer's Association of Western Australia Incorporated

One Association - Many Values

13/06/2013 – SES Volunteers search for missing Tourist Update

Carnarvon Search

Friday Update 

In relation to the marine search and rescue operation near Carnarvon, here the latest update (as at 8:30am 14/06/13)

  • Due to poor weather conditions the air search and sea search components of the search have been temporarily suspended. This decision took into account the safety of those involved in the search.
  • The weather conditions are being closely monitored at the scene and a review will take place mid-morning to determine if it is safe to commence air and sea based searches.
  • Police Officers and State Emergency Service volunteers are continuing with land based search and observation activities, however some areas have been deemed off-limits due to the increased risk posed by the adverse weather conditions.

We will continue to provide updates. All media calls are to be directed to Police Media Unit to allow those involved in the coordination of the search to focus on their search operations.

Update at 16.00 Thursday

In relation to the Marine Search and Rescue operation near Carnarvon, the following is the latest update (as at 5:30pm 13/06/13) 

Search operations have ceased for this evening.

The search will continue tomorrow morning (14/06/13)

Resources deployed will include:

  • Police Officers
  • Search plane with two State Emergency Service volunteers on board (air observers)
  • A team of six State Emergency Service volunteers undertaking a cliff search
  • At least one Volunteer Marine Rescue Service vessel

 Original Report

A MAJOR search has resumed this morning for a missing man who was swept off rocks near Carnarvon, about 1000km north of Perth, yesterday.    The man, believed to be a Malaysian tourist in his late 30s, went missing yesterday morning.  Police say the man fell into the ocean from rocks about 1km north of the Blowholes Road intersection near Quobba Station, which is about 80km north of Carnarvon.  A Carnarvon police officer said the men had ignored signs warning that the coast was dangerous, highlighting three deaths at the Blowholes, and had climbed down to a lower ledge to go fishing.  It is believed the man was swept into the sea by a large wave.  Local police officers, SES Volunteers and marine rescue volunteers, police airwing and water police have resumed searching for the man today.