On Wednesday 22nd of August 2012 the Northshore SES Unit Inc. held its annual general meeting at the Unit Headquarters in Lynton Street Mt Hawthorn.
The Local Manager Nick Elliott welcomed all unit members as well as our District Manager Glenn Hall, with Nick reiterating to all present that, due to the recent restructure, the unit now falls under FESA Operations Metro North Coastal District.
Highlights from the evening were:
Nick Elliott presented his Local Manager’s report, with key points being:
Applauded all members for their efforts in operations and training during the past 12 months.
- Thanked all those that had volunteered extra hours to work on tasks such as the equipping of the replacement truck and the ongoing unit revamp.
- Stated that “2011 / 2012 has been another fantastic year for the Northshore unit. Materialistically and physically, I believe this has been the biggest year of progress that the unit has ever witnessed over a 12 months period“.
- At the start of his comments on training stated “I want to start by acknowledging the fantastic efforts of the training team in their quest to keeps things new and interesting. I trust that no-one here ever underestimates how hard it is to plan a weekly training event for people of varying skill levels and abilities”.
Matt Boots’ Training Managers report focused on:
- The next 2 years training given the continuing training gap due to unit membership growth (including the 2 intakes during 2011/12).
- Work that had occurred in the area of the unit Trainer Assessors pool, both the increase in numbers and what they can deliver and assess, with further work in this area to occur over the next year.
Deputy Local Manager Hazel Darkin presented what had become a unit highlight in recent years – the unit operations and training statistics, this year she covered all of 2011 along with 2012 year thus far. In conclusion Hazel stated that “We have already surpassed the number of member callout hours from last year with 4 months left of the year”.
The unit welcomes Iain McFall to the position of Training Officer, joining Jemma Groen (also Training Officer), Matt Boots (Training Manger) and the unit Trainer Assessors, as part of the broader training team.
Welcome Melanie Roberts and Carlo Restifo (back for a second year) as the unit representatives to the committee for the 2012/13 year. Thanks to Ros Forward (past Training Officer) and Tamsin Collins (past committee member) for their efforts during their terms.
Other election results saw the 2011/12 incumbents standing unopposed and elected again for the 2012/13 year for the positions of Admin Officer (Di Williams) and Treasurer (Hazel Darkin).
Nick Elliott (Local Manager) and members during the AGM presentations
At the conclusion of the AGM Glenn Hall FESA District Manager was invited to speak. This was Glenn’s’ first unit visit since Northshore SES moved into North Coast District. Glenn spoke in general on his role and highlighted the vast changes in all aspects of the unit since his last unit visited several years ago.
After the meeting closed, the members retired for the traditional fellowship, consisting of pies, pizzas and a few beverages…