SES Volunteers Association of Western Australia (Incorporated)

One Association - Many Values

Share on facebook
Share on twitter

17/06/2012 – Natural disaster relief available following severe storms

Disaster assistance may be available through the Western Australia Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (WANDRRA) to those communities in the southern half of the State affected by recent thunderstorms and severe weather that occurred from June 7 to 13.  Emergency Services Minister Troy Buswell said the assistance measures would help local governments and communities recover from storm damage as quickly as possible.  “This event has been proclaimed an eligible disaster under the WANDRRA,” Mr Buswell said.  “This funding assistance will help affected councils and communities recover from this storm damage as quickly as possible.” 

The local government districts affected include those south of a line from Geraldton to Laverton to Forrest.  There is some damage to the road infrastructure network and Main Roads is working closely with the local governments to repair and restore the affected roads.

 More than 650 volunteer and career personnel worked tirelessly to help people in the South West recover from damage associated with tornadoes, strong wind gusts and destructive weather. 

WANDRRA is jointly funded by the Federal and Western Australian governments and administered by FESA, with assistance from other agencies. 

Assistance through WANDRRA, subject to eligibility, may be available for: 

  • Primary producers – freight costs, materials for boundary fences (where public safety is at risk), professional advice grants and interest rate subsidies on ‘new’ loans approved by an Authorised Deposit-taking Institution (ADI). 
  • Local Governments and State Government Agencies – certain clean-up activities, repair and restore essential public assets including local roads.  
  • Small businesses – interest rate subsidies on ‘new’ loans approved by an ADI.
  •  Individuals and families – personal hardship and distress grants.

To apply for assistance or for more information contact the following agencies:…. or 138 138.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter