The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note changes under What Firefighters Are Doing, Road Closures and Extra Information sections
Time of issue: 10:48 AM
Date of issue: 23 May 2018
Bushfire ADVICE for parts of ALEXANDRA BRIDGE and COURTENAY in SHIRE OF AUGUSTA-MARGARET RIVER
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people bounded by Scott River Road to the east, Strucels Road to the south, Blackwood River to the west and Marsh Road to the north.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of Brockman Highway and Beck Road in COURTENAY.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
Bushfire ALL CLEAR for eastern part of ALEXANDRA BRIDGE and COURTENAY in SHIRE OF AUGUSTA-MARGARET RIVER
An ALL CLEAR advice has been issued for people bounded by Brockman Highway to the north, Courtney Road to the east, Payne Road to the south and Wall Road to the west.
- Firefighters will monitor the area for the rest of the night
- The danger has passed but you need to remain vigilant in case the situation changes.
WHAT TO DO:
- Drive slowly and with caution due to smoke and emergency services personnel working in the area.
- It is contained and under control.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Roads have not been closed, however please take care with speed restictions in place along Brockman Highway between Wall Road (west) and Courtenay Road (east).
Motorists are asked to avoid the area and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the Shire of Augusta-Margaret River.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are working to strengthen containment lines and are patrolling the area.
- The fire was reported at 12:42 PM on 22 May 2018 and currently there has been 20 hectares burnt.
- The Shire of Augusta-Margaret River is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update will be provided by 4pm today unless the situation changes.