The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note park closures. Due to forecast hot weather, fire conditions are expected to worsen over coming days.
Time of issue: 04:12 PM
Date of issue: 26 February 2019
Bushfire ADVICE for Coolgardie-Esperance Highway in NORSEMAN, DUNDAS and SALMON GUMS in the SHIRES OF DUNDAS and ESPERANCE
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people travelling on Coolgardie-Esperance Highway, between Salmon Gums and Norseman, in NORSEMAN, DUNDAS and SALMON GUMS in the SHIRES OF DUNDAS and ESPERANCE.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- Burning operations to contain the fire will likely result in an increase in smoke over the area.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- It is contained but not controlled.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting your local Shire.
Closures in Shire of Esperance:
- Peak Charles National Park
- Frank Hann National Park
- Dundas Nature Reserve
- Cape Arid National Park
Closures in Shire of Dundas:
- Dundas Nature Reserve
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are strengthening containment lines.
- Bush Fire Service, Parks and Wildlife Service firefighters are attending.
- The fire was reported at 02:02 PM on 21 February 2019.
- Currently there has been 3,300 hectares burnt.
- ABC local frequencies that can be heard in the Esperance area and surrounds: 837 AM (Esperance), 105.3 FM (Hopetoun), 105.9 FM (Ravensthorpe).
- The cause of the fire is lightning.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.