The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
This is a new alert
Time of issue: 10:45 AM
Date of issue: 01 March 2019
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for HOWICK in SHIRE OF ESPERANCE
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in an area bounded by Merivale Road to the north, Cape Arid National Park to the east, the coast to the south and Alexander Road to the west.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- The fire started near the intersection of MERIVALE RD and EXCHANGE RD in HOWICK.
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
- Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
- The Shire of Esperance has setup a temporary evacuation centre at the Esperance Civic Centre, Council Place, Esperance.
- There is additional camping areas available next he the Esperance Recreation Centre.
- Be aware that only essential items can be taken into these centres. Alcohol and pets, except guide and assistance dogs, are prohibited.
PLACE OF LAST RESORT:
- If you cannot shelter in your home, a safer place you can go to is a local open space, beach, shed, swimming pool, dam or building.
- This may give you some protection from the effects of a bushfire.
- Take water, woollen blankets and wear protective clothing.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Merivale Road
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR SHIRE OF ESPERANCE.
All nature based campsites east of Esperance have been closed. These include:
- Alexander Bay
- Kennedy's Beach
- Cape Arid National Park
- Cape Le Grand National Park
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene.
- Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service, Volunteer Fire and Emergency Services, Parks and Wildlife Service firefighters are attending.
- Aerial support has been sent to assist ground crews.
- Local farmer units are also assisting at this fire.
DRONES AND AERIAL SUPPORT:
Never fly a drone, model aircraft or multirotor near bushfires. Doing so poses a major safety risk to firefighting personnel in the air and on the ground, and forces aircraft to be grounded or redirected, hindering firefighting efforts.
- The fire was reported at 06:46 AM on 1 March 2019.
- The cause of the fire is lightning.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
Updates will be issued every two hours unless the situation changes.