The following alert has been issued by the Parks and Wildlife Service at the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions
Please note changes throughout alert
Time of issue: 12:42 PM
Date of issue: 14 January 2019
Bushfire ADVICE for Point Culver and Wattle Camp in the Nuytsland Nature Reserve in the SHIRE OF ESPERANCE
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in the vicinity of Point Culver and Wattle Camp in the Nuytsland Nature Reserve in the Shire of Esperance.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started in Nuytsland Nature Reserve
WHAT TO DO:
- If camping in the Wattle Camp area head north-east along the Cliffs Track to Point Culver, then onto the Point Culver / Toolinna Cove track then onto the Toolinna / Eyre Highway track heading north.
- If south of the Wattle Camp fire head towards Israelite Bay head to Esperance via Fisheries Track if it is safe to do so.
- If in the Mt Ragged area head south on Balladonia track onto Fisheries road.
- If in the Daralinya / Balbinia / Bills Paddock head south on Balladonia track to Fisheries road avoiding Parmango road. Alternatively head north along Parmango to the Eyre Highway.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving fast in a north easterly direction.
- It is out of control and uncontained.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
The following tracks are closed the public:
- Cliffs Track from Israelite Bay to Point Culver
- Wattle Camp Track from Bills Paddock to Wattle Cam
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR SHIRE OF ESPERANCE.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are monitoring the situation.
DRONES AND AERIAL SUPPORT:
Never fly a drone, model aircraft or multirotor near bushfires. Doing so poses a major safety risk to firefighting personnel in the air and on the ground, and forces aircraft to be grounded or redirected, hindering firefighting efforts.
- The fire was reported at 03:06 PM on 13 January 2019.
- Currently there has been 100 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is lightning.
- Parks and Wildlife Service is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update will be provided by 4pm today unless the situation changes.