The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note there are no changes to the previous alert. Due to forecast hot weather, fire conditions are expected to worsen over the coming days.
Time of issue: 02:10 AM
Date of issue: 28 February 2019
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for parts of BOYATUP, HOWICK, BEAUMONT and CAPE ARID in the SHIRE OF ESPERANCE
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in or near Tagon Road, Shao Lu Road, Orleans Road, Henkes Road, Muntz Road, Grewar Road, Merivale Road, Fisheries Road and Balladonia Road and surrounding areas in parts of BOYATUP, HOWICK, BEAUMONT and CAPE ARID in the SHIRE OF ESPERANCE.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- Burning operations to contain the fire will likely result in an increase in smoke over the area.
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- The bushfire is moving in a south westerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Fisheries Road from the intersection of Henkes Road.
- Fisheries Road is open to local traffic only from the Coolinup Road intersection.
- Merivale Road
- Balladonia Road
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the Shire of Esperance.
The Department of Education has advised the following school is closed Wednesday 27 February and Thursday 28 February.
- Condingup Primary School
For more information contact your school directly or visit education.wa.edu.auPARK AND RECREATION AREA CLOSURES:
- Thomas River Campsite in Cape Arid National Park.
- Cape Arid National Park (direct result of fire)
Other closures in the Shire of Esperance:
- Peak Charles National Park
- Frank Hann National Park
- Dundas Nature Reserve
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are strengthening containment lines.
- Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service, Volunteer Fire and Emergency Services, Parks and Wildlife Service firefighters are attending.
- Aerial support has been sent to assist ground crews.
- Local farmer units are also assisting at this fire.
The Shire of Esperance, State Emergency Service and WA Police are also in attendance.
DRONES AND AERIAL SUPPORT:
Never fly a drone, model aircraft or multirotor near bushfires. Doing so poses a major safety risk to firefighting personnel in the air and on the ground, and forces aircraft to be grounded or redirected, hindering firefighting efforts.
- The fire was reported at 12:46 AM on 24 February 2019.
- Currently there has been 19,200 hectares burnt.
- ABC local frequencies that can be heard in the Esperance area and surrounds: 837 AM (Esperance), 105.3 FM (Hopetoun), and 105.9 FM (Ravensthorpe).
- The cause of the fire is lightning.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
Updates will be issued every two hours unless the situation changes.