The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
There is no change to the previous alert
Time of issue: 03:22 PM
Date of issue: 03 March 2019
Bushfire ADVICE for Marble Bar Road northeast of NEWMAN in the SHIRE OF EAST PILBARA
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people travelling on Marble Bar Road between the Opthalmia Dam turnoff and Kalgan's Pool turnoff, northeast of NEWMAN in the SHIRE OF EAST PILBARA.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire is burning on the eastern side of Marble Bar Road.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving fast in a northerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Roads have not been closed.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR by contacting the SHIRE OF EAST PILBARA.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene.
- Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service firefighters are attending.
BHP are also in attendance.
- The fire was reported at 04:25 PM on 1 March 2019.
- Currently there has been 6000 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is Lightning.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.