The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
There is no change to the previous alert
Time of issue: 04:16 PM
Date of issue: 19 April 2018
Bushfire ADVICE for the vicinity of WODGINA in the TOWN OF PORT HEDLAND
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people travelling along the Great Northern Highway near Yandeyarra Road in WODGINA in the TOWN OF PORT HEDLAND.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of YANDEYARRA ROAD and GREAT NORTHERN HIGHWAY in MARBLE BAR.
WHAT TO DO:
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a north westerly direction.
- It is contained and under control.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Roads have not been closed.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the Town of Port Hedland.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are monitoring the situation remotely.
- The cause of the fire is unknown.
- Town of Port Hedland is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.