The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note changes under Road Closures and Extra Information sections
Time of issue: 07:06 PM
Date of issue: 03 February 2019
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for parts of NOWERGUP in CITY OF WANNEROO
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people bounded by Karoborup Road to the north, Gibbs Road to the east, Nowergup Road to the south and Wanneroo Road to the west in NOWERGUP in the CITY OF WANNEROO.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- The fire is burning on the eastern side of Wanneroo Road in the Neerabup Nature Reserve.
- It is burning towards properties on Gibbs Road.
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
- It is moving in a north easterly direction
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
The following vehicle control points are in place:
- Control point at the intersection of Karoborup Road and Wanneroo Road is stopping southbound traffic along Wanneroo Road
- Control point at the intersection of Gibbs Road and Wanneroo Road is stopping northbound traffic along Wanneroo Road
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR by contacting the CITY OF WANNEROO.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are actively fighting the fire.
- Bush Fire Service, Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Emergency Services, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service firefighters are attending.
- Aerial support has been sent to assist ground crews.
DRONES AND AERIAL SUPPORT:
Never fly a drone, model aircraft or multirotor near bushfires. Doing so poses a major safety risk to firefighting personnel in the air and on the ground, and forces aircraft to be grounded or redirected, hindering firefighting efforts.
- The fire was reported at 05:08 PM on 3 February 2019.
- Currently there has been 5 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is unknown.
- City of Wanneroo is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or listen to news bulletins.
Updates will be issued every two hours unless the situation changes.