The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
The alert level for this fire has been downgraded due to favorable weather conditions.
Time of issue: 07:50 AM
Date of issue: 16 May 2019
Bushfire ADVICE for parts of THE LAKES, COPLEY, WOOTTATING and WOOROLOO in the SHIRES OF NORTHAM and MUNDARING
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in an area bounded by Great Eastern Highway, Inkpen Road and Great Southern Highway in parts of THE LAKES, COPLEY, WOOTTATING and WOOROLOO in the SHIRES OF NORTHAM and MUNDARING.
- The alert level for this fire has been downgraded as the fire is now contained and under control.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of HORTON RD and GREAT SOUTHERN HWY in THE LAKES.
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is stationary.
- It is contained and under control.
- This means homes in the area are no longer under threat by fire however people are asked to remain vigilant in case the situation changes.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Wariin Road in both directions between Great Eastern Highway and Great Southern Highway
- Horton Road in both directions
- Woottating Road in both directions
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR SHIRE OF MUNDARING AND SHIRE OF NORTHAM.
- Western Power has advised 142 homes in the area are without power.
- Western Power have a plan in place to undertake reconstruction works to repair and replace damaged infrastructure which will commence at 7.30am today.
- For further details visit www.westernpower.com.au.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are patrolling the area and mopping up.
- 40 Bush Fire Service firefighters are attending.
Western Power, WA Police, St John Ambulance, The Salvation Army and the Shires of Mundaring and Northam are also in attendance.
- The fire was reported at 01:08 PM on 15 May 2019.
- Currently there has been 276 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is unknown.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.