The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note changes under What Firefighters are Doing and Extra Information sections
Time of issue: 03:50 PM
Date of issue: 11 December 2019
Bushfire ADVICE for the north western part of NORTH CASCADE in the SHIRE OF ESPERANCE
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in the area east of Frank Hann National Park and west of Peak Charles National Park and Lake Tay, bounded by Lake King-Norseman Road to the north and Cascade Road to the south in the north western part of NORTH CASCADE in the SHIRE OF ESPERANCE.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started in the area between Frank Hann National Park and Peak Charles National Park in NORTH CASCADE.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a north easterly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
The following roads and tracks are closed:
Lake King-Norseman Road between Cascade Road intersection to the west and Peak Charles Road intersection to the east. All tracks within this area are also closed.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the Shire of Esperance.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene.
- 13 Bush Fire Service and Parks and Wildlife Service firefighters are attending.
- The fire was reported at 09:11 AM on 4 December 2019.
- Currently there has been 70,000 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is lightning.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or news bulletins.
During a power outage, your home phone, computer or other electronic devices connected to the NBN will not work. Include a battery powered radio in your emergency kit.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.