The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Please note - Great Northern Highway between Roebuck Plains Roadhouse and Sandfire Roadhouse will reopen at 5:15pm today (Tuesday 18 September). There will be smoke over the road and drivers are asked to exercise caution.
Time of issue: 05:11 PM
Date of issue: 18 September 2018
Bushfire ADVICE for people travelling along the Great Northern Highway from Port Smith turn off to Sandfire Roadhouse in the SHIRE OF BROOME
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people travelling along the Great Northern Highway from Port Smith turn off to Sandfire Roadhouse in the SHIRE OF BROOME.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
WHAT TO DO:
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
- Great Northern Highway between Roebuck Plains Roadhouse and Sandfire Roadhouse will reopen to traffic in both directions at 5:15pm today (Tuesday 18 September).
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the Shire of Broome.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are building containment lines.
DFES staff, Bush Fire Brigade and Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service frefighters are in attendance. SES volunteers are also assisting.
- The fire was reported at 01:09 PM on 15 September 2018.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.